Hair loss in women is a rather common condition that can lead to a lot of emotional distress and uncomfortable situations. It can also be an indicator of some major underlying health condition and therefore should not be ignored. Protein deficiency, stress, autoimmune disorders are some of the reasons that can cause hair loss in women.
Symptoms of hair loss can vary from being very mild to extreme. These include thinning of hair, bald patches, receding hair line, etc. There are many treatments, home remedies, and prevention available for the condition of hair loss; we have discussed them all in detail below.
The important causes of hair fall or hair loss includes
- Hereditary conditions
- Medical conditions such as anemia and autoimmune diseases and thyroid disorders
- Scalp infections
- Skin conditions like psoriasis, dermatitis
- Certain hairstyles which causes traction on the hair.
- Hair-pulling disorder
Hair loss can appear in different ways depending on the cause. Some types of hair losses are temporary and some are permanent. It is possible to prevent the temporary loss of hair using various home remedies available.
1. Coconut Milk:
Coconut milk contains fats and proteins that make it one of the richest sources to nourish the tissues of hair. It promotes hair growth and arrest hair fall.
- Grate the coconut and extract the milk out of it by squeezing it. Apply the milk on hair and scalp. Leave it for half an hour and later shampoo your hair.
- Mix coconut milk with water and then add a few tbsp of camphor solution to the mixture. Massage your scalp with this, let it stay for few hours and then rinse off with warm water.
Amla or Indian gooseberry is like a blessing for people suffering from hair fall. It is a rich source of vitamin C and iron which helps controlling hair fall. The antioxidant, antibacterial and the exfoliating properties present in Amla help to maintain a healthy scalp and promote hair growth. Amla is used since ancient times to prevent hair loss.
- Boil some dried amla in coconut oil till the oil gets black. Use this oil to massage your scalp.
- Mix amla juice/pulp with lemon juice and massage your scalp with it. Leave it for 30-45 minutes and wash off.
Egg is a rich source of proteins, vitamins and fatty acids that nourish the hair. Egg contains a fatty protein known as Lecithin, which prevents the hair from becoming brittle and thus controls hair fall. Vitamin A, present in egg yolk, helps to control dandruff and prevents hair loss.
- Take one egg white and mix it with one tsp of olive oil. Beat it to achieve a paste like consistency.
- Apply it on hair and scalp. Leave it for 15-20 minutes and rinse off with cold water.
- Make a pack using egg yolk and honey and use it to get rid of hair fall.
4. Oil Massage:
Oil massaging on the scalp helps to reduce hair fall to a great extent. It reduces dandruff, stimulates blood circulation and thus controlling hair fall and promoting hair growth. You can use hair oils like coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil, castor oil, etc. Few drops of lavender or rosemary essential oil can be added along with previously mentioned hair oils for better result.
- Massage any of the above mentioned hair oils on to the scalp and hair using your fingertips. Do it twice or thrice a week.
5. Pepper and Lime Seeds:
Pepper is a great anti bacterial agent and comes with many anti oxidant properties as well. Lime seeds are rich in vitamin C and have anti oxidant qualities. Together they help to keep the scalp free from fungal and bacterial infections that can cause hair fall.
- Make lime seed powder and mix it with freshly grinded pepper powder. Make a smooth paste by using water.
- Apply it to the scalp and hair. Leave it for 30 minutes and rinse off. Use twice a week.
You can make your own remedy using henna leaves to battle against acute hair loss. It has properties to repair hair and promotes growth.
- To do this, you will need 250 ml of mustard oil and henna leaves. Make sure you use wash and dry these leaves before use. Mix them and boil until the leaves get burnt. Filter this mixture and use the oil to massage your scalp. You can apply this oil every day for better results.
- Though Henna is an excellent remedy for hair loss, it doesn’t suit people who have sinus issues
Onion is extremely influential in hair growth. It is a cure to treat hair loss caused due to hereditary. The onion juice is capable of triggering hair re-growth.
- You can apply the onion juice on your scalp before hair wash. Extract the juice by chopping the onion into smaller pieces and put them into a juicer. Apply the juice all over your scalp. Rinse your hair with a mild herbal shampoo after 45 minutes. This stimulates hair growth.
Hibiscus plant is an amazing solution for all hair problems, particularly hair loss. You can prepare a hair mask using hibiscus and amla which are the two major components that can thwart hair loss most effectively.
- Pluck some hibiscus leaves from your garden, crush them and mix it with amla powder and water. Apply this paste to your hair, concentrating more on the scalp and roots. Wash once your hair starts getting dried. This is a great hair mask for hair loss.
- Avoid Amla if you have extremely dry hair. Instead, you can crush few hibiscus flowers and mix it with coconut oil and apply this paste to your hair. Leave it for an hour and wash it off with a mild shampoo.
9. Aloe Vera:
If you’re wondering how to stop hair from falling out, aloe vera is a great home remedy for treating hair loss. Aloe vera works to sooth and calm a damaged scalp, creating a healthy environment for hair cells to replenish and flourish. Aloe also helps clean up sebum, an oil that clogs follicles and prevents hair from growing back. To effectively use this natural hair loss treatment, simply massage pure aloe vera gel directly along your scalp, or find an aloe vera-based shampoo.
10. Lemon juice:
Lemon juice contains vitamin C, alpha hydroxy acids that exfoliate dead cells and an excellent astringent which tighten the pores in the scalp and reduce oiliness. Prepare a cup of lemon juice and strain it by cloth. Mix it with warm water and pour gently along with massage onto your scalp. Finally, wash it off.
All these home remedies are very easy to make and they are not expensive at all. All we need is a little bit of patience. So friends, if you are suffering from hair fall, worry not. Try out any of the above mentioned treatments and get back your lustrous, beautiful hair.